Department of Infectious Diseases & Immunology
PO Box 110880
2015 SW 16th Ave
Gainesville, FL 32611-0880
- PhD, University of Hong Kong, 2015
As a PhD candidate in infectious diseases, I mainly focused on the interaction between pathogenic bacteria, host cells, and environmental stresses. I specialized in clarifying the mechanisms of the arginine deiminase pathway. This is especially important since this pathway contributes to bacterial adaptation to acidic condition, anaerobic stress, and other host defenses encountered during infection and in environmental niches.
The Zhou lab has provided an excellent training environment for immunology. I hope to extend my research experiences and career over the various arms of the immune system, as well as the crosstalk between the immune system and microbiota/pathogens, especially at the mucosal interphase.
- Lau SK1, Zhang L1, Luk HKH1, Xiong L1, Peng X, Li KSM, He X, Zhao PS, Fan RYY, Wong ACP, Ahmed SS, Cai JP, Chan JFW, Sun Y, Jin D, Chen H, Lau TCK, Kok RKH, Li W, Yuen KY, Woo PCY. Receptor usage of a novel bat lineage C betacoronavirus reveals evolution of MERS-related coronavirus spike proteins for human DPP4 binding. J Infect Dis. 2018. (1equal contributions).
- Xiong L, Yang Y, Ye YN, Teng JL, Chan E, Watt RM, Guo FB, Lau SK, Woo PC. Laribacter hongkongensis anaerobic adaptation mediated by arginine metabolism is controlled by the cooperation of FNR and ArgR. Environ Microbiol. 2017; 19(3):1266-1280.
- Zhang BZ, Cai JP, Yu B, Xiong L, Lin Q, Yang XY, Xu C, Zheng SY, Kao RYT, Sze K, Yuen KY, Huang Immunotherapy targeting adenosine synthase A decreases severity of Staphylococcus aureus infection in mouse model. J Infect Dis. 2017; 216(2):245-253.
- Guo FB1, Xiong L1, Zhang KY, Dong C, Zhang FZ, Woo PC. Identification and analysis of genomic islands in the genome of Burkholderia cenocepacia AU 1054 with emphasis on pathogenicity islands. BMC Microbiol. 2017; 17(1):73. (1equal contributions).
- Xiong L, Teng JL, Botelho MG, Lo RC, Lau SK, Woo PC. Arginine metabolism in bacterial pathogenesis and cancer therapy. Int J Mol Sci. 2016; 17(3), 363.
- Wang H, Pang B, Xiong L, Wang D, Wang X, Zhang L, Kan B. The hybrid pre-CTXΦ-RS1 prophage genome and its regulatory function in the environmental Vibrio cholerae O1 strain. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2015; 81(20):7171-7.
- Xiong L, Teng JL, Watt RM, Liu C, Lau SK, Woo PC. Molecular characterization of arginine deiminase pathway in Laribacter hongkongensis and unique regulation of arginine catabolism and anabolism by multiple environmental stresses. Environ Microbiol. 2015; 17(11): 4469-4483.
- Xiong L, Teng JL, Watt RM, Kan B, Lau SK, Woo PC. Arginine deiminase pathway is far more important than urease for acid resistance and intracellular survival in Laribacter hongkongensis: a possible result of arc gene cassette duplication. BMC Microbiol. 2014; 14:42.
- Guo FB, Xiong L, Teng JL, Yuen KY, Lau SK, Woo PC. Re-Annotation of Protein-Coding Genes in 10 Complete Genomes of Neisseriaceae Family by Combining Similarity-Based and Composition-Based Methods. DNA Research. 2013; 20(3):273-86.